Chicken Tortilla Soup (with Bone Broth)
- Yield: 4 1x
It’s the first day of Fall as I type this so it’s officially SOUP SEASON! This soup isn’t very “Fall-like”, but it sure is good! Plus, I made it with homemade chicken bone broth, which makes it that much better in terms of immune boosting potential!
I made mine extra spicy, but you can absolutely dial that down if you would like with less spice. Cilantro, bone broth, garlic, onions, tomatoes….such good micronutrients in here that support optimal health, especially as cold and flu season is staring us in the face!
The tortilla strips are optional. If you are following a low carb/ketogenic protocol, I would suggest using a low carb tortilla or just skipping them. It’s delicious with or without these!
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ avocado, diced
- Pink Himalayan or sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- diced avocado (for topping)
- 2 low carb tortillas (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the tomatoes (with juices) and chili powder.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth (you could do this in a high powered blender if you don’t have an immersion blender).
- Add the bone broth to the tomato mixture and stir.
- Return the pot to the stove and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the chicken form the soup and shred with 2 forks and then return to the pot.
- Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the tortilla strips: preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut the tortillas into strips.
- Divide the soup between serving bowls.
- Top with tortilla strips, diced avocado, chopped cilantro and enjoy!