Butternut Squash Lasagna
This is a great twist on the regular lasagna, especially if you love butternut squash! I was not looking forward to cutting into this squash since they are so firm, but it really was a lot easier to deal with than I had imagined. No need to soften it up first. This is for sure a low carb comfort food dish!
Note: this will be a little higher in carb than some other dishes because of the starchy squash. I would reserve this for a day when you are boosting your healthy carbs a bit (carb cycling) which I think is a very useful thing to practice!
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 red onion, sliced in thin half rings
- 6 oz baby spinach
- ¾ cup whole fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz provolone cheese, cut into little pieces
- 1 tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
- Avocado oil to grease casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high. Add onion and garlic and sauté about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and sauté just until spinach is wilty. Remove from heat. Put yogurt, heavy whipping cream and provolone into a blender or food processer; blend just 20 seconds. Add salt and eggs, blend 1 full minute.
- Cut the round bulb off the bottom of the squash. Peel the neck (the longer part of the squash) with a vegetable peeler. Cut into thin 1/8th inch rounds. Steam for several minutes in a pot on the stove just until the round start to soften a bit.
- Coat a 8 inch square casserole dish with avocado oil then spread ½ cup of the yogurt, heavy whipping cream mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Make one layer with squash rounds over the yogurt mixture, making sure to slightly overlap the rounds.
- Top with 1/3 cup ricotta cheese then 1/3 of the spinach mixture and 1/3 of the remaining yogurt mixture. Repeat these layers twice and end with what is left of the yogurt mixture.
- Sprinkle the Gruyere cheese over the lasagna, cover with foil and bake at 350F for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil, turn the broiler on and broil for a few minutes, or until lasagna starts turning golden brown (this will happen pretty fast, so keep an eye on it).
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 20 minutes before cutting into it and serving. Enjoy!