I used to bake ALL. THE. TIME. Then I started eating a more paleo inspired diet which then switched to keto. When I was paleo I did make a lot of paleo treats and found myself frustrated because my body was not responding well. I thought, hey, I cut out gluten, processed flour and sugar…what gives? But then I realized I was eating tons and tons of high sugar fruits and “healthy sugars”. This is actually what led me to dive into the ketogenic diet. After tons of research I thought I would “try it” and here I am, two years later, still keto!
I do not think it’s a good practice to have keto treats every day. It does seem to drive this desire for sweet further when we are always having sweet things even if they don’t spike our blood sugar. However, I do still love to bake and I LOVE to share a keto treat when there is a holiday or special event. These are one of those that even people who are not low carb or keto would love!
Recipe adapted from ketogenicgirl.com
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- ¼ cup Erythritol (or sweetner of choice; adjust amount as needed)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened just a little
- 4 tbsp Powdered Erythritol
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffing tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream and eggs together until fluffy. Add in the yolks one at a time followed by the erythritol and vanilla extract; combine well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the almond and coconut flours, baking powder and sea salt. Add this gradually to the heavy whipping cream mixture and combine well.
- Distribute evenly into the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While cupcakes cool (make sure to cool them completely before frosting so the frosting doesn’t melt), mix the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered erythritol together in a bowl with a hand mixer until creamy and fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes however your little heart desires and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 12