I have seen these cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipes using diced florets, but the first time I made it I had riced cauliflower on hand, so that’s what I used and it was so great (and easy) that it’s just how I make the recipe now!
This is the ultimate KETO comfort food!! Do be mindful and keep your serving size small because, although the carbs from cauliflower are nutrient dense, there are a lot of them if you are trying to keep your carbs fairly low. The good news is, there is also a fair amount of fiber in cauliflower, so it does help counteract the blood sugar/insulin reaction (which ultimately is why we are keeping the carbs low!!). So don’t avoid something like this altogether because you are afraid of the carbs (you’ll truly be missing out!); but again, keep the serving size limited.
If you have people in your fam who are NOT Keto, give this a try! I would bet they will love it too!!
A note on dairy: I don’t do dairy all the time because I notice if I have too much I have more symptoms of inflammation. However, in order to help support my hormones, when I do have dairy, I do my best to use hormone free!
This recipe was adapted from www.dontsweattherecipe.com
- 1 Large head of cauliflower, cut in to small pieces (or use a food processer and make “riced” cauliflower!)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (hormone free)
- 2 oz Cream Cheese (hormone free if you can find it)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar, divided (1.5 cups mixed in and 1/2 cup on top)
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt or Pink Himalayan Salt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 8×8 casserole dish with grass fed butter or coconut oil.
- Prepare your cauliflower pieces (or riced cauliflower) by steaming it until just getting tender. Transfer it to the prepared casserole dish and set aside.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Whisk the cream cheese and dijon mustard in until all is combined and smooth.
- Stir in 1.5 cups of the cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder; whisk until the cheese melts (1-2 minutes). Add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Remove from heat, pour the cheese mixture over the cauliflower and stir to combine.
- Top the cauliflower “mac” and cheese with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and bake until starting to brown and bubble (around 15 minutes).
- Let sit for about 5 minutes and then serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6